20 May Medication Error Almost Kills Chicago Boy
In Chicago, a medication error almost led to the death of a 5-year-old boy. According to his parents, the mix up happened when their son was accidently given a powerful antipsychotic prescription instead of his allergy medication.
After only two doses of the wrong medication, the young boy was unable to breathe and hanging onto his life. Doctors later told his parents that a larger dose would have killed their son. An attorney representing the boy and his family has claimed that the child received ten times the safe dose. Fortunately, the child survived in this case.
The pharmacy responsible has faced two wrongful death lawsuits, costing it a total of $57 million. Another two wrongful death lawsuits have been settled for an undisclosed amount.
Are Medication Errors Common?
In 1999, the Institute of Medicine released its report To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System, which suggests that 7,000 deaths a year result from medication errors. Medication errors happen for several reasons, such as drug name confusion and labeling.
Statistics gathered by the Journal of Patient Safety suggest that medical mistakes, including medication errors, kill between 210,000 and 440,000 patients every year. Medical negligence is unfortunately common, and it is important for consumers and patients to remain attentive and ask questions when receiving new medication.
People hurt by medication errors might have legal options for recovering damages. Contacting an attorney costs nothing and it can allow people affected by medical malpractice options for seeking justice.
Latherow Law Office – Chicago Injury Attorneys